Variegated Fritillary

I’m seeing lots of these Variegated Fritillary (Euptoieta claudia) this summer, both in my backyard and is some of the other places where I hang out. Since I hadn’t noticed them before, they must be having a very good year locally. This view is cropped to square, to remove more of the same color background.

7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/400 s, f/11, iso 400, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I am enjoying the backlighting as well as the nice smooth background on this, Mark. Great details in the BF and the flower. I love the way the flower tilts inward to the left, while the BF is facing downward toward the bottom of the photo. Very nice.

It’s a strong background colour Mark, but serves as a perfect contrast to the muted shades of the butterfly. The flower then adds a really nice touch .

Mark: Beautiful specimen on a fine perch. I do like the back lighting. In the field I would have been tempted to pop a little fill flash to bring out some of the eye detail but this works great as is.>=))>

Hi Mark, nice backlit capture showing the light through the wings. Fine background. I’m also wondering if you did a fill flash version as well. Nice image.