Spangle

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A number of these Swallowtails (Papilio protenor) are coming to the garden, mainly for Zinnia and Buddleia flowers. Many are quite battered now, but this one today was in good shape.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D7100 + 105mm 1/3200 f11 ISO 6400

Topaz AI, tonalities in PS, Imagenomic Noiseware. Cropping and canvas added at top. Burnt pale petals.

1 Like

Mike, what a beautiful BF. I love his position on the flower. It looks like you were dealing with some really harsh light, and I am not sure if you can bring down the highlights on the flower or not, but if you can, that would help. You have a great composition, beautiful subject against a nice BG. I have never seen a BF that looked like this, so I am enjoying him/her.

1 Like

Beautiful BF and capture!! Wonderful focus and detail! It might be possible to add some pink to the bright petals. Had to have a look. Used some 50% opacity cloning to smooth out the BG on the top and right. I used Select > Color Range and clicked on a bright petal and pulled down Blue and Green midpoints in a curve to add some color. But there are better ways.

1 Like

Wow, @Diane_Miller - you magicked this one - many thanks! Good learning point for me.

Hi Mike, I’ve never seen a butterfly like this one - really cool. Love the orange on black. Nice details on the butterfly and composition. I like what Diane did too - nice tweaking.

2 Likes

Mike, this is a fine look at the BF, where you’ve handled the blacks very well. The grey/black mix in the forewing is a neat “color” combo that is quite striking. I do see a slightly bright halo around its head…might be real, but might be from dodging the head and eye.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

The forewing has some excellent detail and Diane’s edits work well with the zinnia. I find that fuzzy insects tend to produce halos during post processing. Easily fixed with layer set to darken and the rubber stamp. Cool butterfly nicely photographed…Jimj

1 Like