In the Sun Light

This image was taken at String Lake in Grand Teton National Park. It was about 4:30 pm. The sun was still fairly high the contrast was still fairly harsh. As the sun was going behind a cloud I saw this an took a shot. I know there is someone in a canoe in the image but the overall image is landscape.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I would like to get feedback on the lighting, the composition and how well anyone thinks this image works especially since the lighting was less then optimal. Thanks for your feed back.

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20, Shutter 1/400, Aperture f16, ISO 400, 14 mm

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

hi richard,
first and foremost - it’s heavily tilted to the left, which can (and should) be corrected.
processing-wise you did very well with the given conditions. i like the light where it hits the slope. you might try a heavy crop of the centered area, where most of the interesting things are.
cheers,
joerg

1 Like

I would agree it could use a CW rotation. I am very much enjoying the peaceful scene and the great light coming through the clouds. Very nice.

Great Image Richard I love the light rays coming through the clouds! I agree with the comments above that the image needs to be rotated a bit to correct the tilt. When I zoom in I see quite a bit of grain in the sky and the right side of the image. I’m thinking in post you had to lighten it up and started to push the limits of your 7D’s raw files. I’ve done the same thing as I shot with a 7D for years. My suggestion for a shot like this would be to take bracketed shots and blend them using luminosity masks in photoshop to try to keep everything looking smooth.

I like the overall lighting in this image. I would dodge the darker tones in the clouds if possible.

Nice work Richard. Address the tilt, cool down the White Balance and I think you have a winner, especially considering the harsh light that you had. :slight_smile: