Incoming Sandhills

This is from my recent trip over to Bosque, my tenth and likely my last (I’m getting too old for this). For those who haven’t been there, the Flight Deck is a popular gathering place for birds, birders and photographers alike. Before sunrise we huddle in the cold darkness waiting for the Snow geese to blastoff, and soon the Sandhill cranes follow suit in smaller groups. It’s also a good spot evenings for catching the birds coming in to roost. These two were landing about 30 minutes before sunset.

7D Mk II, 400DO +1.4X, Wimberley I, ISO 400 1/640 +1/3EV, cropped for comp 80% of full frame

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like this shot. Nice comp with the birds on the diagonal and nice separation between then. I also appreciate that you didn’t oversaturate the color. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Beautiful shot, Bill. I wouldn’t change anything either. I hope you can go again, if you enjoy it.

Bill: this shot looks fine to me. There’s separation of the subjects from the b/g and there is excellent detail and color in the birds. Richard

Nice timing on this one with excellent detail.

I like the landing poses in this image, Bill, and the cranes are nice and sharp. While the background provides a nice sense of place, in this case, it seems to compete a bit too much with the birds. Maybe just a slight blur on it?