Sandhill

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

It’s getting to be time to drive over to the Merced Refuge to seek out some Sandhills to shoot. I like their look both on the ground and in the air. Here’s a shot I got there last season with my D500, Nikon 2-500mm lens, 1.4 TC, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 450mm, ISO 1000, AI Clear, hand held, cropped to 2501 x 1872

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice in-flight look at the crane. I like how the left wing is hanging down.

Looks good–you may want to tone down the sharpening just a little bit–you may not need to sharpen this one as much. Otherwise, I like the pose and the focus on the eye is excellent. Well done…Jim

Nice flight pose, Dave, and I love the light in the eye. The bird looks rather noisy for iso 1000. I look forward to seeing your images this year.

Dave: Technically this image looks fine. I don’t see any noise when I reviewed the image. My first reaction is the blue sky is pretty bright and overpowers the image. The color is also pretty cyan, rather than blue.

I know that images against a blue sky are easier to capture than against a natural background. We always encourage participants in our Bosque workshop to work hard to get images that help convey a sense of place and that means having a background that isn’t just blue sky.