Overlapping Sandhills

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was down at my favorite close by wildlife refuge yesterday and got some sandhill shots. I liked this one especially on looking at i closely I see that the lower one’s wing is tucked in between the other’s legs and tail! Had to have been very momentary.

Specific Feedback

General impression. Cropping?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/2500th, f 9.0, 840mm, ISO 320, cropped to 4033 x 3081

3 Likes

Dave, I don’t claim much skill at bird photography, but wonder if you saw Ray Hennessey’s NPN webinar yesterday? If not, you may want to visit it - especially if you are asking, “What more does this image and the birds need?” The formation of the birds is amazing, a fabulous capture. Nice and sharp too. Terrific image.

Very good, Dave. The focus and exposure look spot on and I like the slight overlap between the two in this case since it doesn’t obscure anything important. I could see taking a tad off the top and/or adding a tiny bit of canvas on the left, but that’s the only thing I’d change.

this is a really good flight shot Dave. You have really good detail and separation of the cranes from a tough BG. Nice one.

Nice image Dave. Great to get both birds in focus with fine poses. I could see adding a little room to left as Dennis suggests.

Good detail here and having two birds instead of one elevates the image. I’m not a fan of one bird against the sky, but the second bird adds interest. Nice capture.