Landing Sandhill-Platte River 2012

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My wife and I were at the Platte River for the spring Sandhill migration in 2012 and we spent one morning in a blind at the Rowe Sanctuary for the morning flyout. Most of the morning there was a haze and I deliberately chose not to remove that in this image. For similar reasons, I didn’t try cleaning up the water that was covered with feather bits from preening birds.

Specific Feedback

Any suggestions for improved processing are welcome. There was a gap in the foreground birds on the right that created too much empty space, so I went with this squarish crop.

Technical Details

Canon 1Div, 500 mm f/4, tripod, f/5.6, 1/4000, iso 1000 (slow to adjust for the increasing light). Processed in LR & PS CC. Taken March 16, 2012.

A neat landing pose, Dennis. I like the wide wingspan and that one foot is just touching the water. I think if I were one of the birds in the water, I’d feel rather threatened by this imposing bird coming at me.

Hi Dennis, as Allen mentions above, you captured an intriguing pose with the feet down and wings up. Looks like you cropped as best you could with the other birds providing somewhat of a frame for the one landing.

Hi Dennis
Someday I hope to photograph Sandhill Cranes. The land is great and the bits of feather are just fine. I hope you do not mind, I down load this shot in to DXO PhotoLab 7 (with the Canon 1Div & 500mm f/4 optics) and use a local graduated filter to add 12 units of ClearView Plus). I think it keeps most of the fog and added a little punch to the Crane.
Peter

Thanks, Peter. I like what that did.I’m guessing that’s the equivalent of the dehaze function in LightRoom, but I do like the effect.

Very atmospheric looking image, Dennis. I love the wing position and the feet down pose with the birds in the lower part of the image framing the shot. I very much like what @peter did to bring out some of the details without completely wiping out the atmosphere of the image. I think that’s what it needed. I love that you pulled this out of the archives. Well done!

Great pose you managed Dennis! Wings in great position, good position in the frame, etc…I agree with he improvement Peter made.