Sandhill Dancers

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This past Spring, I was able to photograph the Sandhill Cranes in the North Platte River in Nebraska. The birds mate for life, but conntinue to engage in pair bonding. Fortunately, I was able to isolate this active pair from the thousands of birds in the river.

Specific Feedback

The ideal photo would be to have only river as a background, but given our elevation in a blind on the river bank, that proved pretty elusive. Do you think the photo works as is?

Technical Details

R5 and 600 mm lens at 1/3200, f/10 and Auto ISO at 800.

I don’t mind the grasses in the background, Richard, though I think a bit of blur on them would make this fine image even better. I would burn or do something to get rid of the couple of bright pieces in the upper left that are peeking into the frame as they draw my attention.

The cranes are great with wonderful posters and interaction. Since the lower bird is looking slightly away but you still have a bit of eye, I think dodging the eye and maybe the lores in front of it to bring them out a bit and maybe brightening both birds just a touch more might make them pop even more.

PS I was just playing with scrolling the largest version and I think a little off both the bottom and the top would really make this image sing and gets rid of the issue at the top:

1 Like

HI Richard
Luck you. Someday, I hope to photograph Sandhill Cranes . When I looked at the enlarged posting, came to the same conclusion as Dennis. Nice work.
Peter

Interesting interaction shot with nice poses. Detail looks good. I like the crop Dennis came up with and I think the grass adds an environmental aspect to the image. I like that you have the one jumping out of the water. Well done.

Dennis, Peter and Allen: thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. Attached is a re-do with those suggestions incorporated. They make a nice improvement.

Richard

Sweet, Richard!

Terrific poses on both birds, Richard. Great interaction. I think the crop that @Dennis_Plank suggested works perfectly. One day soon I hope to get out and shoot the sandhill cranes. Either in Central California or in New Mexico are the two locations close to me. This image makes me want to get out and go find them because this is the time of the year they are here.

@David_Haynes I haven’t been there myself, but I understand that there are also some good locations in eastern Arizona for wintering cranes.

Thanks for the information, Dennis. Do you know where? I can Google it if you don’t know. Thanks again!

I don’t remember the name, but there’s a lake or reservoir down there where they congregate. Arizona has a birding trails map available that should include it.