Incomming Storm

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

Like: background lighting, foreground lighting.
Unsure: framing, light in upper left (help or hindrance?)

Creative direction

I wanted to convey the moody feeling of the approaching storm. There vs here; and soon to be here.

Specific Feedback

Any and all is good. Looking for ideas to improve the image. Thanks.

Technical Details

Fuji X-T4 18-300 Tamron Lens @21.5mm
1/8 sec, f16, ISO 200
Took sequential images for HDR but did not have to use it (luckily)
Used LightroomClassic>>Topaz Noise Reduction>>Photoshop & TK9

Description

I shot in this general location at Cape Blanco, Oregon for about 40 minutes in the evening. Cold and windy. This location thankfully had some shelter from the wind. I scrambled for the car when the storm arrived as the hail was pelting me and stinging my skin. Loved the scenery though.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

James, you certainly do have an impending storm on the way. I hope you got out before it broke loose. Nice image.

The upper left corner feels like a distraction to me, so I eliminated it with the remove tool in Photoshop. Also I thought that cropping the foreground and a bit from the right would zero in on the storm clouds a bit more. I also added an Orton effect at a low opacity, about 20%, to slightly brighten the pinkish sun that contracts with the clouds. I’m not sure if this Orton is needed - a matter of your vision. Looking at it, I would crop even more from the bottom.

1 Like

I would also add more space to the left so the sea stack on the left frame has water to its left.

1 Like

To me this image is all about the sea, the waves, the sea stacks and the stormy sky and because of this I feel as though there is too much foreground and I, like Larry would consider cropping a bit of it out. Otherwise I think this is wonderful - full of mood and atmosphere!

1 Like

Thanks Larry. I was thinking along somewhat similar lines.

Thanks much Tom

I love the moodiness and drama this image portrays. The colors and the somber tone is captivating

1 Like

Thanks Freddie.

1 Like

Maybe a little more water on the left but it’s looking good. Thanks all!