Storm on Hood

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A landscape in waiting, with Mount Hood’s valley caught in a moment of tranquility before the storm unleashes its symphony of wind and rain.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

53 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄850sec at ƒ/8

2 Likes

What an amazing place with really great conditions! My first thought when I saw this was that I wanted to get in a little more toward the action. I really like the snaking river in the mid ground and the warmth in there contrasting with the cool mountains, you may be able to play on that a bit more if you were so inclined by warming up the mid-ground even more. I found myself getting pulled down into the bushes in the foreground though. I’ve uploaded an example of what you could do with it if you’re interested. Now, if you shot this and really loved those bushes then disregard. They do help provide some depth, but I think you have the depth even in the crop because of the atmosphere stretching deep into that valley. Really cool image though either way!

What an amazing view Don! I love the drama and ominous mood with those storm clouds about to pelt the mountains in the BG. Your vantage point has created some nice depth to the scene and provided you with a front row seat to the approaching storm. I hope you were able to also capture some images before the rains came with just the BG mountains and storm clouds. Something like this.

1 Like

Thank you for your insightful critique. Your perspective on the image is indeed valuable, and the suggestion to accentuate the warmth in the mid-ground to create a more striking contrast with the mountains is an interesting one. It could potentially bring a different energy to the scene.

Appreciate your point regarding the foreground bushes. While they are meant to add depth and a natural frame to the composition, I can see how a clearer view towards the valley might offer a different dimension to the photograph, as in your mod.

Your feedback is much appreciated, it’s always a pleasure to exchange ideas with a fellow photography enthusiast. The beauty of photography lies in these varied interpretations and the endless possibilities each scene presents.

Glad you liked the view Ed! The drama of the scene was indeed intense with the storm closing in. I aimed to capture the raw moment, including the expansive foreground that tells the story of the approaching weather.

While the crop offers a different perspective, the full breadth of the scene speaks to the scale and the mood that was present. Sometimes, the elements we leave in frame are just as telling as those we capture. And yes, the storm didn’t leave much time for variations, but the experience was worth every second.

Thanks again!