After the Storm

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken almost a year ago on my trip to Zion and Bryce national parks. This was the morning after as storm rolled through dumping about 8 inches of fresh snow in Zion. I was slowly making my way up the main canyon when I noticed this family of trees that looked like they had been battered and bruised by the storm. The little tree looks like it’s falling to the left and the center tree looks like it’s reaching over to help it from falling. I grabbed this image and had forgotten about it till I started to make my plans a few days ago to head back to Death Valley, Zion, and perhaps Bryce canyon. I scrolled through numerous images that I had not gotten around to processing yet and thought I’d give this one a go. I’m glad I did as I like the twisted and broken branches set against those awesome orange/red cliff faces and I thought at least for me, it told a story. How about you? Does that story come across to you? Do you see a different story? As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look.

Does anyone know why I posted this at 2300 on the long side and it posted on the web site at 1150. This happens to me about 25% of the time. It’s very strange. I will try and upload it again at the 2300 size and see what happens. OK, I tried uploading it again and the same thing happens. My upload size is 2300 x 1787 and I’m getting half of that coming through. Any ideas???

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400mm lens @ 100mm, ISO 500, f/9, 1/2000, hand held, manual exposure

1 Like

I love the scene, the composition and the overall mood of this image, but it seems not to be entirely sharp; it doesn’t matter for the background, but I notice it on the tree trunks.

1 Like

Those amazing trees get lost in the textures of the area below the cliffs. Its not an editing comment, but more of a composition when on-site thing, but I wonder if you’d have been able to get down nice and low so that the bare branches were against the red cliffs? Maybe they aren’t tall enough, but just a thought. Love the image overall though and am a bit jealous of the geology there!

1 Like

The snow and cliffs are compelling supports for those wonderful trunks and branches. I didn’t see the tree interaction until you mentioned it, but enjoyed it once I did.

I have no idea on the sizing issue ; that’s a hassle

1 Like