Zion extravaganza

New Version:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is up one of those small side canyons that eventually get vertical. There’s a microclimate in there because the sun doesn’t get a chance to desiccate everything. Everything about Zion is some shade of red, especially late in the day. I just go with it and process it with a warm WB.

Specific Feedback

I’m not going to ask for an initial reaction because the subject obvious. But I guess all images evoke an some reaction. Perhaps it’s best to say that all Zion images evoke a similar reaction.

I guess the biggest question is the dark tree on the right edge. I’m ok with it but are you.? Everything goes from left to right and that tree keeps you from going out of the page. That’s my thinking. Or am I rationalizing?

Technical Details

GFX 50R, 45-100mm, f/11, iso 2400 (it’s dark in there)

1 Like

Igor: I love how you rendered the colors and the overall composition. I’m OK with the tree as well although it does pull my eye a bit. Really nice find and a marvelous capture. >=)>

1 Like

I really, really like the colour palette most here, Igor and personally I’m not a huge fan of the tree though it’s by all means a deal breaker. In fact, the longer I look at the image, the more I feel that it belongs. The one thing I would take out though is that little tiny spot of white in the very top right corner.

Igor, the color palette here is very warm and inviting as well a subtle. It works well as presented with the fallen log at the bottom and the bit of tree trunk on the right acting as framing. There is definitely a strong lower left to upper right eye movement.

Thought I would add this image that was shot at about the same time. Otherwise it will never see the light of day again due to it’s unorthodox composition.

The colors seem about right to me so great work with the white balance on this one. I also love the lichen covered rocks that you typically see in the washes of Zions river beds. I have to say that the first thing I noticed about this in the thumbnail after noticing that lovely leaning tree was the hard right edge. I didn’t think it was a tree but a rock wall because of the rocks laying at the base of it. The more I look at this the more I think the tree has to be there. It would simply look off balance without the tree there. Everything flows from left to right and now with the tree on the right it keeps your mind and eyes in the frame. I might dodge the pile of broken log and branches at the bottom of the image just so it doesn’t pull my eye so much. Because it’s so dark my eye goes straight to it. I think you could make it blend in more and make it less noticeable with a little more light on it. Same with the rocks below the tree on the right edge. That darkness pulls my eye just a smidgen.

I’m at White Pocket now where I think I have a good one. It was close to Zion so I thought what the heck. There are limitless opportunities here for intimate abstracts.

I’ve never been to White Pocket before as I was always afraid that my vehicle would get stuck in the sand. On my bucket list though. Can’t wait to see what you bring back with you. Good luck.

Well funny you should mention getting stuck.

The Ford Explorer I rented doesn’t have 4wd. About a mile into the Sandy part I did just that - got stuck. Not 10 minutes passed before the 1st vehicle showed up. I was blocking the road. We started talking and another showed up. And another. And another. Everybody was advising. Finally we dropped the tire pressure from 45 to 25 on all tires. And I turned off the all terrain mode. Out she came easy as can be. However I was shook up and went back to Kanab.

After 3 days I got my courage up and after buying a tire pressure gauge decided to go for it. I just gunned it for 10 miles through all the sand. There was a spot with deep sand where I had to make turn. I came close to getting stuck but the tires grabbed and I made it. Whew! Tomorrow I have to do that same road going back. We’ll see how it goes.

I learned a few things in Baja. None of the Mexicans have 4wd yet they go everywhere. There are almost no paved roads outside of the towns. All done by lowering air pressure.

@Tom_Nevesely, @Bill_Fach, @Mark_Seaver, @David_Haynes

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I have implemented them.

1. I dodged the bottom and side areas.
  2. I removed the wedge of sky
  3. I raised the overall exposure a tad
  4. I burned the wedge of rock in the lower right area.

I’m not sure if this is an overall improvement. Sometimes dark is good. See above for comparison to original.

Definitely unorthodox but also interesting with a lot to explore visually.

I honestly can’t say it’s better or worse. Just different and you’re right, sometimes dark is good.