Zion Wedge

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken on a Fall colors trip to Zion. I was hiking down a side canyon wash when I came across this wedge of river rock that had some very colorful and more typical colored canyon wall rock that had landed on top of the river rock. I thought the juxtaposition between the river rock and the wall rock made this interesting but it’s the cracks in the wall rock that pulls this all together for me.

Here is another image that I posted at 2300 on the long side but I get half that that comes through on the website @ 1150. I can’t figure this out to save my life. Any thoughts?

Specific Feedback

Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Z7, 24-70mm @ 26.5mm, ISO 160, f/16, Aperture Priority, -2/3

3 Likes

The very stark contrast isolated the element of the suspended rocks so they seem to be unsupported and gives to me a feeling of being on the verge of collapsing. Therefore the photo is for me a special and creative image.

1 Like

This image really draws my attention; I love the compositon with the offset diagonal completed by the shadow on the left site, the change of direction in the two parts along it, and their contrasting colours.

1 Like

As already pointed out the very strong diagonal composition of this image creates a very dramatic feeling of movement. The red rock layer with its jigsaw puzzle fractures looks as if it is being broken apart by the “wedge” as we look at the image. The colors are very naturally rendered. Great image. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

If the image is over 3MB NPN will reduce it and post the reduced size.

I like these types of images a lot. In this case it’s the tension between the upper and lower rocks due to color and shape. It looks like water running down the side of the dark rock but it’s been so dry that that can’t be it.

My emotional reaction is that something is breaking and I feel a bit uneasy about it because it wasn’t supposed to break. I guess it’s like a reaction to a vase or china breaking. I suppose that’s a silly reaction.

1 Like

I, too, like this image for its geometry and message. I think @Igor_Doncov nailed the story seeing broken china. It’s the crisp broken edges and overall geometry that attracts me. The viewer is left wondering how these broken layered rocks got like that - earthquake, erosion, pressure? Your title is perfect. The wedge is holding up the rocks.

1 Like

@David_Haynes, I really like this one! The shapes, the color, the textures, and the lines. The pointed river rock thrusts upwards towards the cracked red sandstone, and almost has a feeling of violence about it. Certainly a primeval looking intimate landscape. I am struggling to find anything to suggest for improvement. Maybe the leaves at the bottom of the frame are a little extraneous, but that’s about it.

1 Like

I really like this image, with the “cracks” being the main subject, the colors, the contrast, and the geometry all emphasizing the image.
I too find the leaf litter not adding to the image.
From my perspective, I believe a 4 x 5 portrait crop from the top right, to remove the leaf litter etc., would really strengthen it visually.

1 Like

What a great alignment David. This is very different than Above and Below, but similarly captures great textures and color.

1 Like

Most excellent, David. There’s a lot of tension here. It feels like the house of cards can collapse all the way at any moment. It’s the combination of the cracks in the red rock and the way the black rocks look like they are barely holding up the red ones.

1 Like

Thanks for the information, @Igor_Doncov. I did not know that about the 3MB sizing.

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts on this image from Zion @Giuseppe_Guadagno , @Tomas_Frydrych , @Paul_Dileanis , @Igor_Doncov , @Larry_Greenbaum , @Patrick_Campbell , @c11 , @John_Williams , @Bonnie_Lampley . I’m sorry that I am just getting back to you all but I’ve been away for a few days and had no internet connection. Looks like the leaf litter is a problem for a few of you. I will consider a crop but I think it will mess up the balance with the top feeling much heavier than the bottom. We’ll see. Thank you all for mentioning that though.

I think the leaves add to the tension and uneasy feeling of this. And I agree that cropping off the bottom would ruin the balance. If you’re on the fence about the leaves, maybe just toning down the brightness and saturation of the yellow ones would work.

1 Like