Indian pangolin

The Indian pangolin is a highly endangered animal and is much sought after for its supposed aphrodisiac properties and for its meat. This individual was wandering in my farm on the outskirts of Bangalore, India. This was unusual because pangolins are nocturnal animals. It was clear that its burrow had been found and that it was being hunted. It had somehow managed to escape. My friend and I caught it after some images were taken, and handed over to the Forest Department to be released in the wild.
Specs: ISO 250, f4.0, 1/500s, Evaluative metering, 0 exp comp, handheld
Gear: Canon 5D Mk3, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS USM lens at 153mm.
Great to be back after a loooong time :slight_smile:
As always, all critics and critiques welcome. ### What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

A fine shot of this rare animal. I recently saw a special about them. It is a shame that they, along with other animals, are hunted almost to extinction. Thank you for posting this. Hopefully it will survive.

Wow, what a beautiful unusual animal, Ajit! Great sharpness on the little eyes. Hope it finds a place to hide from the hunters. :cry:

Welcome back! I think this is a lovely well composed image. I’ve never seen one of these before and I’m hopeful the species will make a comeback.

Welcome back Dr. Ajit, you were missed here!
I just hope that you participate more often. :smiley:
Great capture of the rare subject, it is technically solid. I just love the curious eyes and those long claws.

Ajit: this is an excellent photo with fine technicals. Much like its African counterpart, it is being hunted to extinction for its scales. Richard

Wow, what a cool find. Though I normally would choose not to interfere with a wild animal, I think you made the right choice (especially given the current plight of pangolins). Kudos, Ajit, and thanks for sharing the story.

Max