Indri

Hi all,

I took this shot with a Nikon D5200 combined with an old Nikkor 80~200 1:4.5.

Would be happy to find out what other people think of it and what they think I should do differently.

Thanks,
Steven

Another nice sharp and natural pose Steve. There’s a strong light coming from the top left which has lit the face but has left the black fur very dark on my monitor. For me it would be good to see some more detail in this which may be possible if you have the original RAW file to work on using a RAW processor such as Adobe Camera RAW.
Is it a lemur? Where was it taken?

Definitely a cool subject. Love the leaf in its mouth, and the head is pretty sharp. As for suggestions to improve, I’d prefer more eye contact, and the bright spots in the background are kind of distracting. The image is also noisy, which I suspect was due to pulling up the shadows as a result of the image being underexposed. Looking forward to more.

Thanks again for your comments Ryan. This was taken in Andasibe, Madagascar and the indri is indeed a type of lemur (check out their calls on youtube). To be honest I have not done much photo editing before, but I will get started on that. I do still have the RAW file, so will make sure to check out Adobe Camera RAW.

Thanks again Lyle. I guess I have made quite some profile shots, but should have some others with more eye contact which I will post. I have not done any photo editing, but think I should start doing that.

I agree that strong back lights need to be tackled, you may burn them and the strong light on the RHS top corner may be cropped out.

Thank you for your feedback Jagdeep, will work on the strong backlight issues.