Inflight Kestrel

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Well, I FINALLY captured a kestrel inflight. I had her eye locked in while she was perched on a branch, and it kept the lock when it took off (in a good direction in the morning light.

Specific Feedback

I realize that this BG is an uninteresting clear blue sky but, to my eye, the subject is so prominent, it didn’t matter too much to me. Cropping?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 180-600 lens, 1/3200th, f 8.0, hand held, 900mm, ISO 900, cropped to 1791 x 1466

Oh Wow! Congrats! I have had No Luck with this species so can really appreciate this capture. I like the angle of the bird coming towards us, the wing position and the good look at the eye. I am fine with having a blue sky background. I could see a little more room on top and in front but those are quite minor nits. Congrats again!!

Hi Dave, awesome action image. I too have had problems catching these little ones in flight. The sky is fine as is, I think. The position of the bird is really nice. I agree with @Allen_Sparks about a tad more room. I also noticed on the larger version that it seems to be over sharpened. Maybe it’s the conversion to JPG.

Wonderful catch, Dave.

Cheers,
David

Great catch, Dave. It looks like your focus was perfect, so I do think you can back off on the sharpening a bit. I also agree with Allen and David that a little more room for him would be nice. These are really tough to get in flight. The best I’ve managed were some at a marginal distance when hovering.

I’ll echo the previous comments: a great job on a tough bird to catch in flight. I like the head turn and eye contact.