Inner Thoughts

Wandering on the beach, the beautiful swirly bark of this driftwood caught my eye. And then I noticed how the beautiful outer bark was eroded off in spots, exposing the rough inner wood. As I was working on processing this, I started contemplating how we show our beautiful exteriors to the world, but keep our inner thoughts to ourselves.

Specific Feedback Requested

Did the usual dodging/burning, and adjusted the colors a bit to bring out details. I’m not too happy about how the URC looks. There’s something odd about the way it looks, but I can’t put my finger on it. Does anyone else have that impression?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 78mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 400

bonnie_lampley
4 Likes

I love this one, Bonnie. My first impression of this image was that it’s surf breaking on a rocky shoreline. That remains how I see this. It’s more of an abstract to me than wood. I tried to process this to convey that idea but really failed. There’s also a fine square composition of the left side but I don’t think it’s any better because you then lose the nice swirls in the upper right. I don’t see anything strange about this image. If you could give us a hint about what is strange it would help. Great job.

PS B&W seems like an obvious choice for this image but I didn’t like the conversion.

Wonderful image, Bonnie. Love the textures and movement going on here. The URC doesn’t bother me as it seems as though it is just a curved portion of the driftwood. Very nicely seen.

I think its “odd” because it causes my eye to flow up and out of the image in the URC, it pulls me in the wrong direction. I tried a horizontal flip, and that more or less eliminates the issue, but I’m not sure it makes the rest of the image look better. I think some variation of what @Igor_Doncov suggested might help, a square crop of the left 2/3’s of the image.

i do love the color combination of brown, silver and grey, i find that very appealing.

1 Like

Hi Bonnie, I really like this. Nice intimate scene. I also see waves crashing on the shore.

Regarding the URC, I tried cropping off the top, but that didn’t work. I brushed in some warmth and slightly brighter in that area and that seemed to help a lot. Just a thought. I also think bringing down the highlights just a tad might provide more depth…

What attracts me the most in this image is the pattern on the white part of the wood. I am not sure how I feel about the dark semi-circle on the left edge of the frame. I would like to crop them but I would hate to lose anything that is going on in the ULC area. But like Ed, I love the color combination here: very subtle, very elegant.

Weathered drift wood always grabs my attention. There is so much detail to take in. your image in no exception. I like this a lot and the URC doesn’t bother me.

I, too, love looking at and photographing drift wood . There are usually so many things to see. In this image I see the face of a person deep in thought; perhaps a bit troubled. I like it as presented.

Thanks, @Igor_Doncov, @linda_mellor, @Ed_McGuirk, @David_Bostock, @Adhika_Lie, @Eva_McDermott, and @Jim_Gavin for your thoughts. I’m feeling rather ambivalent about this one. I’ll try some different crops (or maybe just try again when I’m at this beach). David, your suggestion about warming up the URC was a good one.

It’s a good image and worth the time to experiment. Even if you don’t come up with something that satisfies you it’s a stepping stone to something new and improved.

2 Likes

Bonnie, I just happened to spend some time looking at landscapes. I think this is great, with lovely colors and textures. I see a stretched, bearded face on the left, just above center. I have zero problem with the upturn in the URC, it seems perfectly natural. A slight pano crop (bit off top and bottom) would emphasize the downward sloping left to right flow and reduce the up sweep in the URC.

1 Like

Bonnie, this is a great image. I like it a lot. Tried to flip it and reduce the brightness at a spot at the upper border. Also tried a b&w variant.

1 Like