Beach Circles - Reworked

REWORK:

I’m always amazed at how the smallest bit of grass blowing on the beach can make such distinct marks.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Oh, anything you want to say.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

a73r, 24-105mm@33mm, f/14, 1/125s, ISO 400, hand held

1 Like

Hi @Bonnie_Lampley, i like this shot. You captured an interesting subject in a beautiful light. In my opinion there are some disturbing elements (small branches) that take my eye off the subject (lines of sand in my opinion). Thanks for sharing.

An interesting find Bonnie, it is amazing what designs Mother Nature can create. I like the tilted angle of the main design, and I like that it is “embedded” in the rippled sand. I’m a little torn about including the smaller arc at the top of the image. This is subjective personal taste, but to me it pulls me away from the primary design, rather than being a complementary secondary element. It will be interesting to see how others this view this, I suspect some folks will both like and not like the top arc. I think the primary design and the ripples alone are strong enough to make this image work.

Bonnie,

Great find, I love this! Make my imagination run a bit - I’m thinking alien pictographs… and what are they trying to tell us?

Aside from the patterns created by the wind and plant, I’m really enjoying the lines and shadow play; the subtle vertical shadows intersecting with the ripples. Excellent!

The only suggestion I have would be to bump up the luminosity. Personal choice of course and this works well as presented. I do think this might have been lighter in person, but then I wasn’t there.
Regardless, really love and enjoy this one.

Lon

I see a monkey’s face! I like this a lot, Bonnie. Great great find. My first reaction is the same as Ed about the arc in the upper part although I grow to accept it. I would however clone out the more subtle arc on the UR corner.

@masdamb, thank for your comment. Are you speaking of the little “branches” that are making the circles? Not sure this would work without them. To me, they tell the story. I can appreciate the desire for a nice, “clean”, scene, though.

@Ed_McGuirk and @Adhika_Lie - thanks. I really liked the upper arc, as it seems like it gives a rhythm to the scene. I agree, though, that it looks a bit off balance. I had that thought myself, but left it as is. I tried a slightly tighter crop in the rework - does that look better, or is it now too cramped?

@Lon_Overacker, thanks. Yes, it is a bit dark, even darker here than on my screen. I adjusted the curve I used to brighten it up and increase contrast a bit. I think it looks better. Should print better, too. I printed it before reading eveyone’s comments and it was just meh. Oh, and I cloned out that faint arc in the URC.