Into The Abyss

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another Photo that I found lurking on my drive from 2011. La Jolla, CA after sunset on a stormy day.

Specific Feedback

Interested in your feedback on if this works as a B&W. There was no color to speak of.

Technical Details

Made with a Canon D60, Tamron 18-200 mm lens at 18mm f/11 ISO 100 for a 30-second exposure. Processed in ACR and PS.

Hey @Youssef_Ismail,

Really like the mood, and I think this images works very well in B/W, mainly the tones on the water.
I do think that the left side is to “heavy” mostly because of the darker area and that rock creeping in the middle left. Maybe a more “4/3” crop would help and bring that “S” shape more into attention.

Also like the long exposure, is gave the image that dreamy feel but retained some “motion” and energy on the water. Good choice of exposure time.

Cheers.

I think it works great as a BW Youssef. Great title. It has a dark and gloomy feel, in a good way, and the processing is a large part of that. It very well may be monitor differences, but on mine the shadows could stand to be opened just a tad. I think that still leaves the mood, but adds a teasing hint of what lies in the dark.

Wonderful, with the long SS feeling just right! The variation in light on the water is fascinating – maybe a mix of cloud shadows and how the waves are breaking. It matches the sky so well!

The rock coming in on the left draws my attention in that it makes me want to see the end of the implied cove below it. A wonderful scene to revisit some day – it looks like a fascinating area! Do you have more from there?

As @John_Williams said, it also feels a bit too dark for me. The histogram is all in the left 2/3 with a very steep rise on the left and some spikes – maybe there are a few small tweaks that could still preserve the lovely mystery.

But that is being picky for a lovely image!