into the snow (ICM)

we finally got a bit of snow last weekend and while on a little stroll around the house I played around with some camera movements.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I am fairly new to ICM photography and very much like exploring different movements and options. This corner of a corn field covered in snow caught my eye and I tried zooming out during the exposure. I quite like the effect and would be very grateful for some pointers on how to improve this technique.

Technical Details

Sony A7IV with Tamron 28-75mm at zooming out from 75-66mm, 1/20 sec at f 22, ISO 50, handheld

1 Like

I donā€™t know that any of this will make for better images, but a few ideas that should be fun to play withā€¦

• Given you shot this one at 1/20sec, try lengthening the shutter speed to allow you to zoom in (or out) much slower as well. Or you could zoom faster with a longer shutter speed and wind up zooming in/out in the same exposure. That could produce some very different results.
    * A noteā€¦as a VERY GENERAL rule of thumbā€¦Iā€™ve not often had much luck shooting faster than 1/20 for ICM. For me, that is generally as fast as I wish to go. ā€˜Your mileage may certainly vary.ā€™

• You could also try combining other movement types with the zoom out/in. E.g., move the camera back & forth, up & down, or twist as youā€™re doing the zoom. It can get tricky, but itā€™s all worth exploring.

• The fun thing is there really is no limit to how the camera can be moved. As long as we utilize a shutter speed long enough to capture the movement, any kind of movement you can think of is
    worth a shot. I did a handful of sessions where I just hung the camera around my neck and fired the shutter with a remote whenever something visually interesting grabbed my attention.

1 Like

Thank you, RJ, for the tips and suggestions! I will for sure try these out! Unfortunately that day I didnā€™t bring my filters along, so that I was stuck with 1/20 sec at the longest. Next time I will put a ND filter on to experiment with longer exposures. Thank you so much for your recommendations regarding the movements! Canā€™t wait to try again!

1 Like

Ronja,

Love the radial lines and the colors/contrast and processing are very striking. I particularly like the edges - did you vignette or process this to soften or fade around the edges? No matter, I like the effect and presentation.

Iā€™ve always liked the zoom effect; can be quite dizzyā€™ing if you stare to longā€¦ right? :face_with_peeking_eye: :laughing:
Iā€™ve played with this technique, oh well back in to my early 35mm days - a long time ago. Always fun and even used the technique in my November outing to Yosemite.

Hereā€™s the catch for me. I canā€™t speak for everyone, but itā€™s why these style ICMā€™s need something - and that something is a focal point. In other words, the zoom, the radial lines direct the eye to the center of the image. Whatā€™s at the center of the image will determine whether or not the image has any staying power. Unfortunately here, there is nothing for the eye to get to, no focal point. It doesnā€™t make this bad or wrong, Iā€™m still really enjoying everything else about this, but having something more tangible in the center - well, btw, thatā€™s the tough part because you have to be thinking about that in advance. I have a couple examples if you want.

But as I mention, Iā€™m still really enjoying the lines, colors and motion. The whites of the snow are clean and presented perfectly.

Hope this helps,

Lon

1 Like

Hi Ronja, the zoom effect created by the ICM definitely draws the eye in. I would have thought this was a snow covered rock wall perhaps from Bryce Canyon, not a corn field. The exposure looks great.

I agree with Lon on having an area of interest for the eyes to land on. Thatā€™s not always easy to accomplish but I think itā€™s missing from the image. I also think the zoom effect is incongruent with the subject matter. For example, I could see this being applied to a road lined with trees.

Iā€™d like to encourage you to keep experimenting! That is what makes ICM so much fun.

1 Like

Hi Lon,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me. I really appreciate your feedback. The effect you mentioned regarding the edges of the frame is due to the shape of that corn field. I was standing at the very corner with both sides of the field leading away from me.
You are absolutely right about a missing subject in the center. this was something I was struggling the most with while experimenting with this technique. I also took some pictures in this style with a person walking down a trail, which maybe underline the zooming in effect a bit better. I will keep trying and experimenting with this technique. I absolutely love your ā€œblizzard of 22ā€ picture and I very much want to try this technique of combining camera movements as soon as possible.
Thank you again for your kind comment, it helps a lot!

1 Like

Hi Alfredo,
Thank you so much for your kind words and suggestions. I really appreciate your feedback. I only have been to Bryce Canyon once and I absolutely love that place. I really hope to have the chance to visit again one day! This time with a proper camera :wink:
Thank you for your kind feedback on a clearer subject and also regarding the subject matter. I completely agree. I also tried the same effect on some people walking down a trail lined with trees. Due to the movement I didnā€™t manage to get the people completely sharp, but I will keep on experimenting with this. It is a lot of fun! And seeing these amazing pictures here is definitely a great motivator!

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me!

Ronja, what a great use of ICM! My first thought in seeing it is that it reminds me of what itā€™s like looking through the windshield of the car when youā€™re driving in heavy snowā€¦ the way the snow rush deflects on all sides. Very cool!

I personally think the 1/20" was a great choice (even if your choices were limited because of not having a filter). I find with ICM, the faster the shutter speed (up to 1/30"), the more detail is possibleā€¦ if there are strong lines in the scene, it gives some edge to those lines while blurring the rest. One key with ICM at faster speeds is to start moving (smooth and quick!) your camera/lens before you press the shutter. If you wait to move until you click, youā€™ll just get blur, not ICM.

Iā€™ve done ICMs as fast as 1/80", even some at 1/100"! That said, most of mine are in the .8"-1/30" range, with highest concentration between .8" - 1" range. My ICM subjects are nature, architecture, and still life (including slinkies, curled pieces of paper, cut lettuceā€¦ limitless possibilities!).

You might also already know this, but if you want a slower shutter speed w/out a filter, increase your aperture as much you need to balance out a slower shutter. Usually I need to set mine to at least f/11 to compensate for the more open shutter. Just be aware that if your sensor has any spots, the smaller the aperture, the more those spots will show up when you go to process!

Anyway, you didnā€™t ask for an ICM lesson :slight_smile: so offering in the spirit of your request for ideas on the technique.

I agree with others somewhat on the need to have a central focal point in an image like this. It doesnā€™t bother me in this case, as there is a small clump of snow that anchors the middle. The challenge might be that itā€™s not quite defined enough to really be a focus, and therefore it lacks intentionality. But I see this as a very successful ICM and love the combo of motion and definition youā€™ve achieved!

If youā€™re not already part of it, I highly recommend the active and supportive ICM Photo Mag community on Facebook. Information and inspiration galore!!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work as you keep diving into the ICM waters!