Is this Bufflehead awake?

Pond duck on a nice Tuesday morning in so-so subject light but nice water light. Wish I had a tiny bit more depth of field.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Iso-2000, 500 mm F5 .6 at F7 .1, 500th, handheld, 65% of full frame, Adobe camera raw, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 10%

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I really like this shot. The bow wave is wonderful as are the overall colors. Although the focus gets softer beginning behind his head, that is just fine with me. The area of focus is where I think it should be.

Gorgeous foreground water David, and that’s an awesome bow wave. Normally I’d say this image needs a good deal of straightening, but combined with the wake and bow wave I think this provides more of a sense of power and speed. Despite the beauty of the foreground water I think the composition might work even better with less room on the bottom and more on the top. You really nailed the Bufflehead.

It feels a little close to the top. But what great water to go with that beautiful duck. The DOF doesn’t bother me at all. Nice one.

Hi David, this is sharp where it needs to be and captures a great sense of motion. Nice exposure. I agree with more room on top.

Wonderful capture of the duck’s wake. Good selection of aperture and shutter speed. I agree with the comment to have more room on top and less on the bottom, but still a great shot.