Another Bufflehead

Here is another Bufflehead taken yesterday. More of a behavioral image. I think the light is better on this one and once again I am enjoying the shapes and textures of the water.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Any pertinent technical details:

Iso-2500, 100-400+1.4 extender at 560 mm equivalent, F8, 2000th, handheld, Fujifilm XT 3, from a portable blind, midafternoon, Adobe camera raw 11, Topaz AI clear, Topaz adjust, ON one camera raw, TK sharpening action at 5%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Lovely image, David. I like the water as well, though with this pose, I think I’d place the bird in the lower part of the frame instead of the upper, if you have canvas available up there. That would still keep that cool little wave valley you caught her in. I tried Capitol Lake yesterday morning, but they didn’t want to come very close in. I might have one usable image out of the session.

Great detail in this nice behavior shot, David! The exposure is just right also. The wave with the uniform lines is a nice little bonus. I could go either way on the choice of higher or lower position in the frame.

Another great shot of the Bufflehead, David. I think I agree with Dennis on the position, if it is possible. Our eyes are accustomed to things out of focus behind the subject, so it would remove some of the out of focus in front. Also, the position of the head seems to be aimed upwards, and so the shift would give it more room in front of where it’s head is facing. But, I would be very pleased with this shot just like it is, if it was mine! Very well done. I have been enjoying these shots. Not familiar with the Bufflehead, so it has been a treat.