It will be a happy day

What technical feedback would you like if any? All is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?All is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

An interesting image Ben. Nice work on the composition, all the trunks have nice attractive spacing and an interesting silhouette structure. Even without the leafy sapling I would still like it. But it’s starring presence adds to the Autumn forest story and makes the image more of a new generation family portrait. The leaf litter tone is soft enough not to interfere with the mist which for me is always an attractive add on to a forest scene. To my eye there seems to be a little “haloing” around the dark dominant trunk. Nice capture of a late Fall early Winter forest image.

Ben, I like the shapes of the trees here, the one on the left looks like a trident, and I like how it is leaning to the right. The spacing of the trees in the background is well handled too. So overall, the composition is very well done IMO. How one views the processing of fog images can be very subjective. As presented, I think this has a bit too much contrast, with the darks being too dark. I prefer fog images that have a lighter, softer feeling. Again, this is subjective, but I also think the highlights are too warm (the leaves are fine though), I prefer to keep fog slightly cool unless there are strong light beams coming through the fog. To me the light here isn’t strong enough for it to be this warm, and I think the fog area would look better cooled down slightly. Just my $0.02.

1 Like

A fairly elegant composition. I also like the use of a single color in an image that is fairly colorless. The fading silhouettes also work well here. Ed’s idea of cooling the image while preserving the warm leaves is worth a try. The results may be pleasing. I also like this the way it is though with a single color.

Ben,

This is fantastic. Your forest vision is well, quite exceptional. I can’t say, whether or not you’ve always had this, OR if it’s getting better before our eyes… (I’d say the latter since we’ve only seen your work for a few short months.) I guess what I’m trying to say is that at least for me, it just seems what you’re seeing and capturing with your forest scenes just keeps getting better.

Agree with Ed on the spacing of the trunks; just about perfect how everything is spaced and lines up. The trees and fog in the background are wonderful, but combined with the darker tree and the little autumn sapling (and leaf ground cover) is just making for wonderful imagery.

Love this as presented.

Lon

Oh wow. @Ben_van_der_Sande I love how the tones match in this photo. The mood it evokes is just perfect. I wish there was a way to seperate the tree in the fore from the branches of the larger trees in the background a bit more, but then the composition might not feel so natural.

Nicely done.

Beautifully conceived and executed, Ben. There’s a delicate graphic quality to it which I like very much, a lovely play between the blacks and greys on the one hand and the leaf colour on the other, and a strong intimation of depth in the fading of the tones of the trunks.

Lovely feel to this image. I love fog images, and this one is very appealing. If I were to nit, the exclusion of the sapling would strengthen the image by simplifying a bit more. It’s certainly not a deal breaker.

This is a lovely forest scene, Ben. I like how you were able to present both the foreground trees in connection with one another and have the background to give the larger context of the forest. I agree with two comments that Ed made above. First, if this were my photo, I might experiment with a cooler color balance. This is a personal preference, as I do think this works as presented but think it could also work if cooled off. I also agree that some of the darker tones appear a bit too dark, especially in the foreground. Lightening some of the darks could give the photo a lighter feel, which could go well with the foggy atmosphere.

Another stunning forest scene Ben. Great atmospheric conditions. I like that the back ground trees are in the mist. They are a wonderful backdrop The two foreground tress compliment each other.