It's all about the Perch

I ran across an old root section with this one twisted section and set it up as a perch near our backyard feeders. A couple of nights ago, we had nice evening light so I set up my stool and tripod and spent a little while shooting them. Here are three samples.

Note: The second is a composite as I didn’t frame it correctly and wanted to add more of the perch at the bottom, so I stole it from another frame.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC, tripod with ball head. Iso 800 and f/9 for all photos, various shutter speeds. Processed in LR & PS CC. As noted above, the second image is a composite.

2 Likes

I love these! It looks like the Goldfinch is having a blast on his new jungle gym! It would look neat as one of those tryptic photos, I think! I like the first and second poses the best, but I really like what’s going on in the background on the last. It looks like you’re starting to get some bokeh, which I really love.

@Vanessa_Hill The bird was lower down in the third image and it brought the nearer background into play more, which I like too, particularly since it started bringing in tones from the flowers. We live on what’s called mounded prairie and there’s a mound right behind the feeder station so the bird didn’t have to be much lower to bring the vegetation into play.

1 Like

Mounded Prarie sounds like a neat environment for attracting a variety of animals!

All fine shots but I, too lean toward the last one as my favorite. Good perch, good angle of the the bird, and the best background of the three. Good series.

Nice series Dennis. Excellent color, light, and detail. The second is my favorite. The pose in the first image looks a little awkward; perhaps a clockwise rotation would make it more natural…

Hi Dennis
They are all lovely. Good detail, color saturation and framing.
Peter