Two Compositions

Another Juvenile American goldfinch, this one from a few evenings ago. The perch is a decorative piece of wood attached to the top a drip I made. It serves as a waiting area for the birds drinking from the bamboo drip itself.

Both images are of the same bird a few minutes apart. I’m interested in which appeals to people more, and if you can elucidate it, why.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Not too much work done to these aside from exposure adjustments and cropping. Some content aware fill done on both to add canvas where I wanted it.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Which do you prefer?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Both Images: 7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/800, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. The light did change between images with the second being probably 1/2 stop brighter which I adjusted in post processing.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Both photos are great… as a personal preference, I like the 2nd one better - the warm colors and tonal quality are more appealing to me. The eyes seem to “pop” more, and the subtle way that the bird blends with the background looks great.

I second the second image, Dennis, and for the same reasons that EJ provided. I think it is the warmer colors and light mostly for me. Anyway, that isn’t saying that number one isn’t a great shot as well. I would be pleased to call it mine. Very nice.

Very nice light and good overall sharpness. I like the second one best. The pose of the bird, light and most of all less wood. It’s only a small bird and a large branch will drag the viewers attention away from the subject. Hope this helps.

Edwin

Another vote for the 2nd image. Nice detail, color, light, and background.

Very nice images both, Dennis. I have a difference of opinion with others who have posted before and like the first image better. I feel the composition is a little more balanced and like seeing the bottom end of the perch. I prefer the light in the second image though.

Definitely the second one. The finch fills the frame more (seems closer, more intimate); I like the pose better; I like the background better and the overall warmth of the photo.