About Face!?

This female Purple Finch is from a pretty short session in my blind and feeding station a few days ago. I cropped from a horizontal and added canvas on the top. Then I was debating with myself whether to flip the image horizontally or not and I decided to post both versions. The original had the bird facing the viewer’s left so that’s the first post. To me they have very different looks and I’m interested in which people prefer and if you can elucidate it, why.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you notice.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Which do you prefer? Why?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 403 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/250, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction using NeatImage. Cropped from horizontal with canvas added to top.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

My preference isn’t strong enough to decide so it’s more of a gut reaction. I like the first one better and I wonder if it’s just because it was the first one I saw. For some reason, when looking at the second one, it feels crowded in the frame around the tail. Which makes absolutely no sense because it’s the same distance on the first. Not much help, am I? :slight_smile:

Very nice. I prefer the first one. I think it is because the perch is going down instead of up as you go from left to right, which, for some reason, removes a feeling of tension.