Jaguar

One of the many, many jaguar sightings we enjoyed during my latest Brazil tour. This female provided some of the best photo moments, even though she never landed a meal during our time with her.

Jaguars in the northern Pantanal spent a lot of time patrolling river banks in search of caiman and capybara, to the point where, if you spent a lot of time with them, you have to start looking for small moments here and there that may offer up a different activity or composition than the typical “jaguar walk” photos. They do take to the water from time to time, so I was pleased to get a couple second where she came through these low-hanging branches and peeked out before emerging into the open.

Canon R5
Canon 600mm EF
ISO 1250
1/1000th
f/4.5

Max

1 Like

Hi Max !
Great setting and wonderful capture ! I just love that stare.
You may slightly burn the Jaguar to get some more color and if you like, you may tone down the branches, especially over Jaguar’s head.

Cheers !

1 Like

A killer capture of this killer cat, Max! The low angle is very nice and the focus/detail of the cat’s head is excellent. I think cropping this into a panorama would help put more focus on the cat and take attention away from the vegetation somewhat. In fact I think you could crop out most, if not all of that upper branch. Since the cat is looking slightly to the right side, you could probably also crop a little of the left side to make a slightly less centered composition.

1 Like

Hi Max, love the head of the cat peeking out making us wonder what he/she is stalking. I’m fine with this wider environmental view. well done.

1 Like

Wonderful capture. The camouflage is amazing as I only noticed you can see the rest of her body (except for the peeking head) after inspecting the image in more detail. I agree that probably more colors can be had in her head by maying toning down the midtones and highlights a bit.

1 Like