Joker and the Thief

Second first post.

What technical feedback would you like if any? I’m up for all advice.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any provided would be awesome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) F/16- bracketed and blended two shots.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
@OregonSandRat

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Josh, this is a fine near/far comp. with a great sunburst peeking around the sea stack.

1 Like

Nice image, Josh. My only critique is I don’t understand the title. LOL. Is that the name of the sea stacks?

1 Like

Thanks, Michael… The title is the song that was stuck in my head while shooting. For some reason, just the way my little brain works, now every time I look at this pic, that’s what comes to mind. Not the usual way I title my pics, but in this case it was too much to overlook. :joy:

Great image… composition and processing. Since I prefer 4x5 verticals over 2x3, I would take some off the bottom. I think that would give even more emphasis to the foreground rock without detracting from the rest. But very nice as it is.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to look at my pic. I’ll play around with it and see what it’d look like shortened up.

Josh,

This is one beautiful coastal sunset. Love the sky and the expanse of the glassy beach really gives this some depth; as mentioned, a great near/far comp. The sun star, an almost subtle, but very important element to the scene.

I kinda see an old sand-man’s kinda face in the foreground rock/depression. It’s there that I was trying to decipher the title… :wink:

I’m usually in the same camp as Craig in preferring “shorter” verticals; plus the fact that it’s darker and less detail at the very bottom you could get away with a crop. The danger though is still providing enough room for the pool/rock at the bottom. So, not a big deal really.

Beautifully captured.

Lon

1 Like

Lon,

Thank you for the detailed response and kind words. I have a couple different crops “marinating” after Crag’s reply. In a few days I’ll take another look to see which one I like better.

I’m curious by nature and am wondering why the preference in shorter verticals? I have recently been playing around with, let’s call them 1.5 vertical panos. Lengthening then even more. So far I’m really liking it… Might have more to do with the wide angle effects, but either way, I’m having fun trying new stuff.

Josh,

I can only speak for me, but my reason is pretty simple. I spent over 25 years shooting large format 4x5. And I didn’t start shooting digital until 2015. So literally the 4:5 ratio is pretty much ingrained in my head and so I’m biased. But actually, it’s primarily the 4:5 vertical that I prefer and for the horizontal scenes, I like the longer digital ratios. Hope that makes sense! Thanks for asking.

Lon

1 Like

Completely makes sense, Lon… I’m a total amateur and just wanted to understand where you were coming from.

1 Like

Wolfmother or Dylan’s “All Along The Watchtower”?

1 Like

Wolfmother… I have another one called Watchtower from almost the same spot. Took you all of one post to figure me out. :joy: