Joshua Tree With Offspring

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A sunrise near the Hidden & Spur Tanks area in JTNP. I assume this scene meets the WC Theme here. If not please move to Landscape category.
The bigger J-tree with a smaller one next to it as well as behind it. There are some visible sprouts just breaking ground as well.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Wista DXIII 4x5 - Schneider APO 150mm lens - Velvia 50.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Paul,
I do so love Joshua trees. They are such characters, aren’t they? And you have captured these trees in a lovely golden light, besides telling the story of the big and the small. Love it! To bring their story out even more, I experimented with the idea of toning down the background so the trees can shine out a little more. It really is a gorgeous sunset light in all of the shot, but when it’s the same for all of it, the trees tend to blend in IMHO. Pardon the sloppy-ish masking in this example, but it’s really just an experiment. What do you think?

1 Like

Hi Paul,
what a wonderful scene you have captured here. There are so many nice structures and patterns to explore.
The shaggy shapes of the Joshua tree stand out well against the rounder shapes in the background. I have no suggestions for improvement.

I have not yet seen any Joshua Trees with my own eyes. But hopefully I’ll make up for that next year… The travel plans are taking shape :slight_smile:

I just had to lookup the camera you mentioned in the technical details section… really cool!!!

@connie4 @Jens_Ober
Thank you both for your reviews and positive input on this scene.
Jens, like everything these days the J-Trees are under environmental threat mainly from global warming. This area use to receive upwards of 40+ inches of rain per year. That is decreasing over time.
As a side note, I saw where you were located in Frankfurt. My late father was born there and relocated to the USA at age 7.

1 Like

Paul, it’s great to see young J-trees, given the environmental threats. The green of the leaves (??) lets them stand out well. It must have been a good year for the 5 (or 6) smallest one to sprout at what looks to be the same time. My one idea is to wonder about a slight swing of the pov to the right, if you have the pixels.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver good observation there. And yes, this is actually cropped in from that right side slightly. So, there is more there for another look.
Thank you as always for the review and comment too… :+1:

Paul: Love the scene, light and subject. The trees’ interaction reminded me of a mama bear with her cubs, one curious and out front while the other hides behind mom. Perhaps an over active imagination but that’s my take and I’m sticking to it :wink:. Marvelous shot. >=))>