Joyce Kilmer Mossy Tree

Original full color version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I find the isolation of a subject particularly challenging in woodland photography. I really liked this mossy tree, I felt like I wanted to make the moss pop more so I really isolated it from a monochrome background which I like, wondering what you think. Looking at this now that log coming in from the right side needs to go though I find it less distracting the in the green photo. Thanks for your comments.

Specific Feedback

Composition

Technical Details

Canon 40D, 10mm, f13, 1/6 sec.

I really like the grain of the wood running up the tree in this image Christopher. You’re absolutely right, it is difficult to isolate this kind of subject in a busy forest setting. I actually like the colorized version better than the monochrome. I think the sky is too bright and really takes away the impact of the great tree though.

1 Like

Cool composition with the close up and then the line of the trunk leading into the frame. I think the bright green of the moss helps isolate the subject pretty well, even in the color version, which I slightly prefer. In fact, I might try a combo between the two versions with the non-green slightly desaturated but not fully B&W. I agree with @Ed_Williams that the sky is relatively bright so another idea is to try cropping to remove the sky entirely. But overall compelling shot!

Rework- Thank you both for the insight, I took your advice and worked on it a little, I think the square crop works for this. Cheers!