Jumping Spider

What is the image about, what does it mean to you, and what motivated you to make it?

We pulled a huge weed out of our flower garden yesterday, and on it I discovered this Jumping Spider, small enough to fit on my little pinkie fingernail, and not hang over the edge!

Equipment information:

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100mm L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash with homemade diffuser.

Camera settings:

f16, 1/90, ISO 250, handheld.

What specific feedback would you like?

Because I had the weed down near the grass (I couldn’t handhold everything), and I couldn’t get in a position straight on him, I didn’t like the edges of the weed at an angle. So, I tried to vignette to draw the eye better to the subject. I was wondering how this looks to the rest of you, if the vignetting works, or just trash can the image? I appreciate your thoughts. If you see something else that would help, I would love to hear that as well. Thank you in advance.

I like the angle you’ve chosen here - adds a little tension to the image. I think the vignette is a bit too dark. I’d like to see a bit more detail of anything around the edges of the image. I might also consider toning down the highlights in the central part of the image.

I think you handled the interfering weeds quite well. I like the vignette–adds some intrigue to the image like what goes bump in the night (LOL). I would crop it a little tighter to make the spider more apparent in the image. Well done and I like your lighting…Jim

Agree with Jim that the image could benefit from a tighter crop. I hardly knew what I saw until I brought the bigger image to the screen, and then I really liked the spider. then again, a visit to the optometrist might be indicated. Thanks for sharing.