Jungle Energy

This a repost responding to João’s suggestion.

Description:

In a small, steep valley on Kauai, Hawaii, these large trees escaped destruction by the two hurricanes in 1982 and 1992. They provide a foundation for a wonderful tropical ecosystem. When I saw this in 2019, I definitely was figuring monochrome, as the textures were tremendous. This is a “center cut” of a horizontal image. The trailing vines (or air roots?) to me conjure up bolts of lightning, somehow conveying energy to the flowers below.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Image simplicity is a challenge for this scene. Any suggestions about that or anything are very welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
Not a composite
Canon 5DIII, EF24-105 @96mm, f/13, 1/30. ISO 200.
The original scene had a lot of monotone green, so I applied the Man from Mars Method in Photoshop to find some additional colors, and worked from that starting point for BW conversion. Lots of small adjustments to luminosity. As a center cut, the image was not very large, so the Adobe Enhance feature gave me a lot more pixels to work with. Topaz Sharpen AI helped a lot.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This is a very pleasing image in a chaotic scene. I believe you handle the chaos quite nice.
I do like those air roots.
I would darken the background just a little.

Thank you. The re-post with darker center is more engaging, I think

Marvellous textures and tones. The three vertical vines that descend from the top of the frame and the white flower clusters give this image just enough order such that my eye can settle amidst the chaos. I can feel the moisture.

Dick, the B&W processing on this is stellar. It has that classic “saturated” B&W look. I think the comp is spot on, and I agree with @Kerry_Gordon’s comment about just enough order to allow my eye to appreciate the rest of the scene. Well done.

Wonderful silvery tones and composition Dick. The long, light stalks tie the image together very well.