Jurassic (Olympic) National Park w/Repost

Repost with Foreground Fern Toned Down:

Original Post:

This image always reminds me of the Jurassic period. Not sure why. Anyway, this is Olympic National Park in 2019. I loved the root work so wanted to focus on that. This is a focus stack, early in my focus stack time, so I did not record how many shots. I cropped from the top to keep the attention on the root.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm GFX 50S, 32-64 f/4 zoom @ 39mm, 1.3 sec @ f/16, ISO 100, Polarizer, Tripod, several focus stacked images.

Processed in Capture One and HeliconFocus.

It is never easy to create an image in an area like this and I think you are very successful with what you have here, David. The choice of crop is also nice. My suggestion is only to tone down (either by burning the highlight or desaturating the green) on the fern leaves at the base of the closest tree on the left. I would like to go deeper into the forest but for some reasons that cluster of fern holds me back.

1 Like

I like how the light echoes the path. Both light and path lead you in and tell you where to look. The roots do as well. I do agree with @Adhika_Lie that the fern partially blocks the flow of vision.

1 Like

Thank you @Adhika_Lie and @Igor_Doncov for your suggestions. I hadn’t noticed that the bright fern actually blocked the eye flow. I’ve toned down the saturation and brightness of that fern and posted a new version above.

This is what makes NPN so great. Your suggestions help me to be a better photographer and a better image processor. Thanks again.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

I can see why you’re calling this image Jurassic because it really does have that feel to it. Maybe because the trees look so massive and impressive. Overall, I really like the image and especially the wonderful snaking line that runs through the image. I also like the repost with the toned-down fern tiny bit more.

1 Like

The repost works very well. I think if there had been more ferns lit the same way, it would be more cohesive, but with just the one, our eyes snag on it.

Now that travel is easier, I’d be open to a meet up in the Olympics or similar location. I’ve been meaning to do a workshop or something there, but haven’t yet. Since we have so many folks who live up that way, maybe we could put something together. Just throwing it out there.

1 Like

I really like the rework David. I agreed with the earlier comments and you did a great job sculpting the light to let the eye move around more freely.

Can’t wait to get back there in a couple weeks with our workshop. I am always challenged in the rain forest to come away with a compelling comp, amidst the chaos. You did a great job on this one!

1 Like

Hi David,

This is really quite an understated image. At first glance it didn’t grab much attention for me, but wow, does this tell a great nature story. The roots, yes, great job featuring them; but also just capturing the essence of the “old growth” forest is captured so beautifully with this image.

As I think it was John that mentioned, photographing in the forest like at Olympic - is a huge challenge! I know I was overwhelmed the one and only time I’ve been there. I think you’ve managed to capture this wonderfully.

Regarding the fern. I have a different outlook. While I can’t argue against the case for dampening the highlights as a stopper of the eye moving in to the scene; it’s a valid point. On the other hand, the dappled highlight on the foreground fern is repeated in some of the other ferns deeper in the frame, and at least for me, actually help connect (along with the path) the fore and background, accentuating the sense of depth. Second thought - dappled light deep in a forest like this - is a bonus! and if anything I wouldn’t want to dampen it. Then again, the story is NOT about the fern, so in the end, your repost works just as well in telling that nature story.

Lon

1 Like

Kris, I meant to respond to this earlier but got sidetracked. Way back in the day, when NPN had regional forums, I was the moderator of the Pacific Northwest region. I coordinated several weekend outings, including to the Olympic National Park. It was a fun time and we had some great collegial fun and got some good shots as a result.

I’d be up for something like that in the future, but I also know that @John_Pedersen and Jack Graham are hosting Olympic workshops regularly, so it might be a better alternative.

Cheers,
David

I enjoyed the image. It has many elements and details. The root and trail along with the sweep of the left side tree seem to be very harmonious, although the root seems quite bright and tends to draw me down out of the adjecent frame, rather than up and into it. In the version below, I color burned the root and used some freehand vignette to guide the viewer’s eye away from some of the details and draw the eye to the root, trail, and light down the trail.

Nice work, Dick. I like your adjustments. Thanks.