Olympic National Park-"The creature"

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Wanted to show the amazing shapes and textures of the forest. Taken almost at sunset.

Technical Details

Sony A-1 with 16-35mm GM lens, f16 at 4 sec, ISO 50

1 Like

I like the tree that is the center-point of your image. Its shapes and textures are fascinating. But the photo seem sort of dark, and a bit lacking on contrast. Also, the brighter edges draw the viewers eye out of the frame.

I hope you don’t mind but I downloaded your photo, and took a shot at some simple modifications. I brightened the photo using the whites slider in Lightroom. That increases both the brightness and contrast. I think it worked well for the tree, but it made the edges too bright. So I used two linear gradients, one from the right edge and one from the left, and used those to darken the edges.

I think doing these things allows the wonderful tree you photographed to stand out a little better. But making things brighter does take away from some of the mystery of your treatment. So its really a matter of taste

The roots certainly interesting. They look like a group of struggling wrestlers. I think the light wasn’t right for such an ‘open’ composition.