Just a bit of light.

Windy very windy

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Iam happy to say that this came out better than I expected.
I had trouble with the light all afternoon and my expectations of getting a keeper was starting to get the best of me. I did under expose this a bit.
The image gave me a old world feel, mystic and storytelling.

My lightroom ability is a work in progress…

Technical Details

F16, 1/20 ISO 100
Canon 90 D

1 Like

Mathieu,

Let me be the first to welcome you to NPN! Great to have you here!

And what a fabulous first post. Whatever trouble you may have been having with the light on this occasion is NOT apparent in this image! The light is quite wonderful and a clear asset in this b&w presentation. Great choice btw.

This is quite an expressive tree and I especially like the twisted limbs and the texture/detail in the main trunk. And again, the light striking the various parts just make this quite enjoyable.

Only suggestion I have would be to maybe burn down the bottom edge of the bright grasses. I think cropping is not a better option and the grasses/vegetation at the bottom do anchor the scene. I think maybe a slight vignette would add here too.

Hard to tell or know why, but opening up the larger view this looks a little soft? I’m going to assume this was on a tripod at that speed of 1/20… but would think at f/16 the trunk details would be a little sharper. But then again, I’m not looking at your raw either. Regardless, I’m really enjoying this intimate look.

Welcome aboard! We look forward to your images and your participation and comments on other’s work as well. Don’t be shy!

Lon

Welcome to the Group, Mathieu. Like you, I am a fellow Coloridian. Ironically, this is the third image I have critiqued which is in a complex forest scene, which I personally have trouble with similar compositions. I find the light patterens on the tree to be very interesting. Perhaps, the subject could be further highlighted by blurring the surrounding area of the tree and darkening the grass in the foreground. I have included what can be done. The grass is consider a distraction to manother way of addressing it is to crop the image and when composing look for distractions and move a bit to minimize them. Fear not, it’s a decent first attempt and as time goes on, you’ll be amazed how much progress you will make.

1 Like

Lon Overacker
Thanks for the Feedback. This tree caught my eye and begged me to capture it. Iam lucky to have this tree so close to home, I will be going back.
My big issue with this day was the wind and being in too big of a hurry.
I just started focusing on B&W this year for my landscapes and finding it a bit more of a challenge then one would think.
Thanks again,
Mathieu

Thank You Gary Danis,
Its nice to have a fellow Native Colorado photographer in here.
As you pointed out the grass is a bit distracting. Its nice to have some eyes other than my own looking at my composition. Iam going back to retry this when the wind slows down. I think I had too much camera shake in this wind and would liked it a bit sharper then it turned out. Lucky Me its just down the road.

Thanks again,
Mathieu