Just about Knee High

I was sitting in my kayak on a first-magnitude spring in central Flordia. I was able to watch this Egreat take its time moving in the shallow water looking for lunch. I spent about 30 minutes just watching and wanted to show the Egreat’s natural habitat with this image.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I wanted to show everything around the Egreat so you can see the environment they naturally live in

Technical Details

Nikon D810, 1/640 F5.6 ISO 200 LR Topaz D Noise

Nelson,

Thanks for posting! I like your thinking here about what you wanted to show.

It’s a dense background and shows the habitat…which I am a fan of habitat shots. I would have gone for more DOF and upped the F-stop. Given that the egret is close to the background, pull that even more into the photo.

As for a cropping experiment, try putting the egret closer to the lefthand side, giving it some space to move into and see if you like it.

On another note, Egrets are slow flyers but you want to set yourself up for when it takes off. Get more shutter speed as a baseline so you don’t miss cool action shots.

Well done!

Hope that is helpful,

Julie

Thank you very much for your input. This was take a few years ago and my shooting has changed a lot. I am heading back to the area in a few weeks for lots of kayaking and photography