Just After First Sunrise

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another image from the trip to Jefferson Park with @John_Williams and @James_Lorentson. This was taken shortly after the first sunrise of our trip, at the same time John took this shot. I was about 30 feet to John’s right. I liked the healthy young tree in the foreground to contrast with the many fire-damaged trees in the middle distance.

Specific Feedback

All comments are welcome. I did very little post processing on this image - I reduced the luminosity of the foreground as it didn’t seem balanced with the rest of the image. Is the PP effective?

Technical Details

D850, f/11, 1/15th second, 24-70 @ 24mm, ISO 64. Tripod used

1 Like

I like the photo Steve specially lights and colors. I like less the forground for the position of the bush of red leaves that is cutted in the middle. I would have or excuded completely or showed the intire bush. There are also some little peaces of red leaves that I think that I’d rather cloned away. I like the image and the PP too.

Steve, a beautiful scene and I like the comp and the idea of contrasting the healthy young tree with the fire damaged ones. Given your stated intent, I do think the central foreground could be toned down a bit more (maybe without toning down the healthy young tree to the right). Also the bright right hand edge of the photo pulls my eye away a bit, especially the tree that is bisected. Lastly I think you could remove some of the tree top just to the left of the mountain peak so that it doesn’t break through the horizon (I know that’s a controversial topic, so I hope that’s not offensive to you). You guys certainly made the most of your trip. Congratulations to all!

Love these colors, reminds me of an old master painting.

Steve,

Gorgeous alpine landscape. Broken record here… but who’s complaining because we get to enjoy the beautiful images you all experienced. this is no exception.

I would echo Ron’s comments about the brighter right edge. I think just some simple buring on the right would make a difference. Other than that, no other nits or suggestions.

What else do you guys have in store? So glad you have shared these with us.

Sometimes the scene just post-processes itself :grinning:

That was magical light spilling in, and I love your take on it. Interesting how the lack of the mountain top in the reflection isn’t a big deal. I think your decision to focus composing other aspects was a very good one.

I do wish the reds would have just been more cooperative, but since they were past peak I think @Ron_Meeker’s idea of dropping the luminosity of the central bush would let it nestle in a little better.

Very interesting light on the mid-ground trees – even though damaged they have some dignity left. I like the idea of some burn on the tree on the right, but other than that, I just wish I was there!

Thank you @Giuseppe_Guadagno, @Ron_Meeker, @lorretta, @Lon_Overacker, @Diane_Miller and @John_Williams for you comments and suggestions. I added a revised version at the top.

Giuseppe, I totally agree with your suggestions. I wish I could go back and re-position the camera. I did clone out the little red leaf pieces.

I toned down the brightness/luminosity of the right side and the reds. Is it enough?

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions!