The Last Sunset w/ repost

New version:

Original post:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another image from the Jefferson Park trip with @John_Williams and @James_Lorentson. This was taken the evening before packing up and heading home. It was a fantastic trip and I hope to return next year.

Specific Feedback

I wish the reflection was better but there was a slight breeze, and the grasses poking through didn’t help. Even though few blueberry leaves were left, I thought the remaining red leaves would still be a decent foreground and complement the cool tones in the image. Do you think they should be cropped out? Is the large rock too much? I liked that it was damp and reflected some of the sunset colors. All comments appreciated.

Technical Details

D850, 24 - 0 @ 24mm, f/16, 4/5 sec., ISO 64, tripod

1 Like

I recognized this immediately as the same scene as the one shot by @John_Williams. Personally I think the reflection is fine and would not worry about it being ‘perfect’. My first reaction was that the sky is too dark. The darkness implies feelings which I don’t think are meant for this joyous scene. You could argue either way. The mountain does take on a less prominent role due to the similarity with the sky. Overall I think emphasis now is on the red leaves and foreground. Which works also.

I like the drama in the dark sky – the moon and just the blush of color makes an excuse for it being dark. I love the blue hour color on the mountain. Normally my preference would be not to include close FG items in a shot like this but here you made it work. The soft light made the leaves glow! And that reduces the need for the reflection to be perfect. Well done!

Wonderful Steve! This must have been when I was enjoying the view of desiccants and trying not to be insanely jealous of you and @James_Lorentson with your fancy-pants dry cameras. (Disclaimer: James actually lugged in TWO cameras and kindly offered to let me borrow one, but it was traumatizing enough to dunk my own much less someone else’s; I politely declined.)

I love the drama of the mountain with the stormy clouds catching just a touch of color. The blurred reflection isn’t a problem at all for me, partly because of how clear the vegetation underneath the water looks. That grounds the view so the eye can easily appreciate why the mountain is blurry; as apposed to subconsciously thinking something went wrong in taking the image.

My only “wish” would be for color in the center of the foreground, but I know exactly how hard that was to find. It’s truly a nit, this is a wonderful image.

Absolutely beautiful image. As my eye wanders through the image it first is drawn to the red leaves of the blueberry bush then the rock with the last bits of glow from the sunset. I didn’t notice that the reflection was not perfect because I was anxious to see the mountain and the setting sun which tied in so well with the colors on the rock and even the blueberry leaves. I thought the dark sky fit perfectly with the overall scene. Overall I think this composition works really well. My only little nit is that I want the camera position to be a little to the right to center the rock. Great picture!

Steve,

Just gorgeous! What a beautiful alpine scenic and I think the near-far composition works beautifully, which means I think the foreground blueberry anchors the scene perfectly. Sure, you would certainly have a viable alternate without them - especially with the fascinating, folded rock formation as the anchor.

As a matter of personal choice, I wonder abou the saturation of the red. On the one hand, given the time of day the colors are going to naturally be more intense, but still, just makes me want to adjust it a tad.

This is really nitpicky… but the only other suggestion I have might be to do a CA-fill on the tiny gap/sliver beween the tall pines and the left edge. Pretty picky though.

No matter how you silce it, this is just gorgeous. Oh, and the moon, icing on the cake. And surprise to me, this is one of the few tall digital format images that I think work beautifully.

Lon

@Igor_Doncov, @Diane_Miller, @John_Williams, @John_Moses and @Lon_Overacker, thank you for your kind comments and suggestions. Lon, I agree about the reds. I reduced both saturation and luminance slightly, and put an update at the top.

1 Like

Steve,

Redo is subtle, but noticable. Thanks for taking the time and consideration!

Oh wow, what an incredible view! The colours are great (especially in the repost) and your composition is really well put together. No nits from me what so ever. :slight_smile:

There is so much color in this image. It’s just everywhere. The slight water movement doesn’t bother me one bit and neither do the grasses poking up through the water surface. The rework is very nice. Minimal adjustment but noticeable. I love that you have the moon in the sky as well. I agree with @Lon_Overacker about that small crack on the left side of the image. You could do a fill or just stretch the image ever so slightly to fill that gap. This is a very small nit but for me the bottom of the image fees heavy compared to the top. Part of that has to do with the 3x2 aspect ratio but also that heavy rock in the foreground. Maybe a crop off the bottom just to the top of those very bright leaves in the bottom left corner. You guys had one heck of a trip. I hope you all get the chance to go again next year. Thanks for sharing this one.

This is really stunning, Steve. The repost is a nice touch. You all had a great time and got some incredible images. Well done.

I find this image totally delightful and am jealous of you getting to see, and photograph, such beauty (but am glad you do!)! The colors are amazing. My eyes keep just going over it and thru it. Well done!

Hi Judy! Thank you for your very nice comments. Thia made me realize I hadn’t replied to the last few comments.

@Tom_Nevesely, @David_Haynes and @David_Bostock, thank you for your kind comments! I’m sorry it took me so long to respond. I guess the holidays got in the way and caused me to forget.

David Haynes, I see the “crack” you and Lon pointed out - Thank you! Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to correct it yet. This was caused by LightRoom’s less than accurate masking bleeding into areas not intended. It’s going to take an effort to resolve, but the image is worth it.

2 Likes