Not Another Jefferson Park Image! w/ repost

Revised image:

I updated this photo based on suggestions. Thank you to everyone who commented.

Original post:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I know, I know - Another image from Jefferson Park trip! It was a great trip with amazing conditions. @John_Williams, @James_Lorentson and I were very lucky with how the weather cooperated. Mid-October in the central Cascades can be hard to predict and I expected much more difficult conditions.

This image was taken shortly after sunrise, and several minutes after John took this shot. The clouds had moved on, leaving a bluebird sky to frame the mountain, and the breeze stopped long enough for me to get this nearly perfect reflection.

Specific Feedback

Does the lack of foreground bother you? I like the morning light adding warmth to the otherwise cool scene, but unfortunately it highlights the trees affected by the recent fires that swept through the area. I would have preferred a wider view to get a bit more of the mountain shoulders but 24mm was the widest lens with me. All comments appreciated.

Technical Details

D850, 24 - 70 @ 24mm, f/5, 1/125th second, ISO 64, tripod

This is a portrait version taken at the same time. I like the landscape version better but thought I show this one too. I like that it puts more emphasis on the warm morning light.

Hi Steve, wow you guys sure had some fantastic conditions and scenery!

I like this shot a lot, the symmetry is fun and since you have less foreground than sky the emptiness doesn’t bother me…in fact I think it helps the picture. I like that you can barely see the sliver of moon too. Very cool.

My only thought is that it looks like you might have had a polarizer on and as a result the sky is a bit uneven. It’s even more noticeable in the water. I’m not sure how to fix this in Adobe or DXO…in Capture One they have a color tool for smoothing out Skin Tones. But it can be used for any colors really. I’ve used it in the past and have gotten a nicely even sky with it. Anyway, not a big deal, just thought
I’d mention it.

It’s a mighty fine image and would make a great wall hanger.

Cheers,
David

Thanks for the comment @David_Bostock! I did not use a polarizer, but I do see what you mean. I will look at improving the sky and reflection. Thanks for the suggestion and nice comments!

Wonderful!! The dead trees, sad as they are, add some lovely color. I love the lack of a FG as it strengthens the reflection and gives an abstract quality to an otherwise staight shot.

The darker area in the reflection is an interesting situation. I wonder if it is possible to do a TK selection of it and increase the contrast and then use it for a masked curves to lighten the darker tones – masking out everything but the water.

“Just another image…” sure, how about just another comment confirming what an epic trip this was and kudos to all of you for coming away with all these fantastic images. This one, another killer image.

Simply amazing how quickly the clouds and colors changed. This image I didn’t even connect the dots with John’s image - but only because you mentioned!

I love this! I call these “reflectionscapes”. And the notion of needing a foreground? I actually think is one of those things that often leads photographers down the path ordinary… so many times we hear comments about “trying to find a foreground element.” don’t get me wrong, skillful compositions very often are outstanding images especially when creating depth in a scene. I’m just saying, kudos for NOT including a foregound element. the mirrored reflection, symmetry and the semi-pano look are enough make this classic as presented. In fact, I foresee a metal or acrylic print of this. That’s epic.

Now as I often suggest, there may be small, subtle changes that might polish off an image to make it even better. One thought is nit-picky, the other is just a suggestion. First, if you do plan on printing, I would clone/whatever the little yellow/orange patch on the center left edge. picky, but an eye magnet. The 2nd thing I did was ever so slightly darken the top edge of the sky using a heavy gradient. I think this helps bring even more symmetry as there is a nice gradient in the water; and of course we don’t want to darken the whole sky as it should always be brighter than the reflection. Oh, and a slight crop of the top to futher enhance the symmetry. Because of the symmetry, I don’t care where the horizon is or if it splits 50-50. Here’s my subtle edit. Of course if you don’t change anything, you have a winner!

This is a very fine image. I like the way the sun is barely kissing the trees and mountains.

I don’t think I could ever tire of seeing this fantastic view and it looks like you guys had a really great trip!
The lack of foreground does not bother me one bit. I think for these types of centered, mirrored compositions that it’s not necessarily needed.

Thank you @Diane_Miller. @Lon_Overacker, @Don_Peters and @Tom_Nevesely for your kind comments! I have never had so many “keepers” from a single trip. There are still more I haven’t posted yet.

Diane, I like your suggestion and will give it a try. Thank you!

Lon, I really appreciate all of your comments (and not just on this image), but this one is so very true. It’s one of things that create self doubt in the photographer and keeps them from taking pride in good photos. In this case, I love this photo, but hesitated to post it for that very reason. Silly me!

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions Lon. I will work them in and post an update as soon as I can.

Don and Tom, thanks again for you comments!

You’re welcome Steve.

And to my comment about “searching for foreground elements,” I’ll reference the recent “Witness” image by @David_Haynes which I think is an outstanding near/far landscape image where a foregound element works beautifully.

I happen to think the “Rule of Thirds” is an excellent composition tool, but recognize of course that is has it’s place and it’s not something I “seek out.”

To each our own. I can only enjoy the images everyone captures and creates. That’s why we’re all here. Well, at least one of the reasons.

1 Like

Excellent fix on the darker area on the water!!

Because of the moon position, I wonder if this was the evening prior when we were scouting just after arriving? Regardless, this is one of my favorites that you’ve posted. The repost is even better. There is a wonderful simplicity to it, and it is such a beautiful mountain you just don’t need much more than this. That symmetry, the lovely blue of the empty sky, and that nice little dash of moon came together perfectly.

Thanks @John_Williams! You are right! I realized a couple days after I posted this that I had messed that up. It was the evening as we were scouting. Oops!

1 Like