Just an empty barn

An empty barn I found along the road and couldn’t drive by.

What technical feedback would you like if any?As always all feedback is more than welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?All feedback is more then welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques: F11, 1/1000, iso200, 24-70 at 24mm.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Nicely evocative. I especially like the glowing seed pods in the foreground.

There is so much to like here. You must have good light in Holland because that faded gold light without any pinks or reds is really nice. I suppose this image is mostly about light. I like how it comes through the windows. It’s kind of spooky and yet it’s hopeful. The processing of leaves against the house is really well done I think. I think the look is fairly natural despite the darker leaves on the tree. I’m not sure about the cattails. I think they do contribute to the image but would have liked them spread across more of the bottom frame. I don’t know. Perhaps this would be better without them, but then the image may be too simple.

Beautiful light and scene. Great sense of mystery in the image, too.

Beautiful photo and light. It might’ve taken away from the look you were going for given where the sun is at but I might’ve considered moving to a different angle to emphasize the cabin more. The tree blocking it is a little distracting to me. As I said though, gorgeous photo and you captured a pleasant mood with it. Good job!

Roadside images are such a challenge, and I think you pulled this one off very well, Ben.

I can imagine moving to the right to prevent the tree from overlapping the structure, but perhaps the window would have had grass and horizon instead of light from that position. I also like how the tree seems to be the guardian of the structure. I wonder if that’s what makes it feel simultaneously haunting, abandoned, lonely, and hopeful.

The cattails are clustered in the middle, and that makes the edges of the frame feel a bit like empty canvas. I might be inclined to crop just a tish off the right, maybe to include only the one mound, not the mound that meets the frame.

Here is what I’m thinking, just a quickie crop in Windows Photo:

And yeah, brakes are made to be worn out! I should make a bumper sticker: Caution: I stop for landscapes.

ML

1 Like

@Ronald_Murphy, @Igor_Doncov, @Marylynne_Diggs, @abuko, @Harley_Goldman,
So much luck I had in finding this barn in this light. So lucky I am with the feedback you all gave me.
Thank you !