Just Another Hawaiian Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I came upon this scene completely unexpectedly. My family was in Hawaii watching my son compete in a half ironman competition and we were at this beach for a family portrait, so I had my camera, tripod and wide angle lens. After taking the family picture I happened to notice there was color in the sunset, so I immediately looked for a scene to capture. This one wasn’t far away. I used Photoshop to smooth the ocean, but other than that, all editing was very basic.

Specific Feedback

I would love basic feedback on ideas people might have of a better way to process this image.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon R5 on tripod
Settings: ISO-50, F11, 1/30th second, 20mm

Alexander, beautiful! There’s not a thing I’d suggest for it. The sun is beautifully positioned beneath the branches, and the water is so serene (1/3 0 second appears to have been just slow enough to capture that). Needless to say, the colors are astonishing. I wish I’d been there. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Wow – this is gorgeous! Perfect composition, wonderful colors, and the tonalities are perfect for a sunset mood. Whatever you did to smooth the waves worked wonderfully. If you are going to re-process, there are some minor glitches where the smoothed-out ocean meets the tree, that could be cloned out. You could consider darkening the water around the rocks in the LL corner. But those are small tweaks for a gorgeous image.

1 Like

Love the tonalities and composition. Beautiful image.

1 Like