Just around the corner

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Any reactions are welcome!

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Masai Mara - Kenya

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

What a wonderful view!! It’s so great how you caught the zebra looking straight at the camera, and with it’s ears up and alert. The soft background and sky gives an excellent environmental perspective and keeps the focus on the ‘main attraction.’ Love this shot immensely.

Great subject beautifully framed !
I was just imagining that frame is a window …it changes the whole perspective :upside_down_face:

I love the initial impact of this image - great eye contact. My one minor criticism, and it came to me after the initial impact… I wish the zebra’s head was not bisected by the horizon. I’m not sure if I wish it was higher (with the sky background) or lower (with the soft grass background). Again… probably a picky suggestion and the initial impact of the zebra coming from the left is great.

Ingrid, I keep coming back to this image.
I love the direct stare, BG, and sky.
I just remain a little uncomfortable with the crop, honestly, and personally would like to see the zebra just a little further right. Not centered, by any means…
I’m sure I’m in the minority here…

Ingrid: thisis a very creative photo with the zebra being set off very well by the oof background. My only wish would have been for a lower perspective so that the zebra wouldnot be bisected by the horizon line.

Thanks all for you kind comments and useful remarks! I’m off to Africa again soon so no posts from me for a whiley…
Grt, Ingrid.

I really like the direct gaze of the Zebra. I won’t repeat comments about the horizon line. I wonder if you would consider flipping the image horizontally so that your eye travels through the negative space to land on the image on the right-hand side?

I like this composition. My first response was that it appeared as if the Zebra sort of snuck into your minimalist landscape image. Its quite compelling and I like it!