Just Having Fun

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A large group of Dolphins were having a great time riding the bow wake of our ship , while cruising in the Sea of Cortez .

Specific Feedback

all comments are welcome

Technical Details

Sony a7rIII 70-200 f/2.8 lens 1/1000 sec @ f/8

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Ascetically and technically wonderful although maybe a little more above and in front of the dolphin. Great action catch. 1/1000th is certainly the right SS. Am I correct is assuming two more dolphins can be seen just under the surface?

James, this is a fine action shot of this dolphin, with the splash as a good extra. Given the splash, I too think that a bit more at the top and maybe on the right would be nice.

Jim and Mark, thanks for the cropping suggestions and yes , there were more dolphins under the surface. In fact , if you were lucky , you could capture 2 or 3 at a time in the air .

Great action shot! Love the position of the dolphin and the splaashing drops. More room in front would improve this even further.
Wonderful catch!

Wow Jim, Nice action in this one, and really nice job getting the whole porpoise out of the water with good details. I like the ones under the surface here also. We see these pretty regularly when we’re out sportfishing here in the Channel Islands. I’ve seen a pod that had to have had over a thousand in it once.