Just Two

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Moon and Venus. The moon is only 1.5% illuminated and only 26 hours past conjunction. Can’t get more minimal than that. On the other hand, Venus is nearly fully illuminated at 96.7% and is only 12 degrees away from the sun.

Specific Feedback

Any comments or feedback much appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon D850 in DX crop mode, Nikon 400mm f/5.6 MF lens (600mm equivalent), at f8, 1/13 sec, ISO 100, on a tripod of course. Processing in ACR and PS CC

2 Likes

Well, you can’t get much more minimal than this. Incredibly subtle. I love the gradation of colors.

Wonderful!! Maybe the newest moon I’ve seen. And Venus is a fantastic complement. We started west after the eclipse and had clouds for the new moon — only saw it last evening. Lovely clear desert skies revealed earthshine but too tired to go back to the plane and set up the long lens, although I had the tripod and TC with us.

Hard to get more minimalist than this, Youssef! Part of me wonders how a hint more saturation would look, while recognizing that it could also destroy the contemplative nature of the view.

I really love this image. What a great example of minimalism! The sky color graduation is outstanding as mentioned by @Chris_Baird .

Lovely colors. I was so entranced by the sheer sliverness of that sliver of moon that I glossed over Venus entirely.

Was there any thought to cropping so that there was more symmetry between the two? Venus, to me, is in an unexpected place in the frame, but this sort of lends the image a feeling of unpredictability in an otherwise “clean” scene, so I think it works well.