Juvenile Alligator

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We went to a bird rookery in Louisiana last week which also has a healthy population of alligators. I saw this juvenile among the water lettuce.

Specific Feedback

Anything really. I tried to get down low but not too low that the gator would be lost behind the water lettuce.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
ISO 400, f8, 1/500s, hand held

Oh they are so cute at that age! I love the little tooth hanging down and the overall feeling of contained enthusiasm. As if it just can’t stay still for very much longer and it will burst into a run over that foliage. Beautiful color in the scales, but I wonder if toning down the green luminance value would be more harmonious. Worth playing with I think. Looks like a successful trip to LA.

Cute… well, yes, kinda… in a slimy, slithery sort of way. Actually what is creepy about it isn’t this little thing but its unseen mamma, which is probably lurking in the foliage ready to eat you. But so well photographed!

I think @Kris_Smith has a good idea about darkening the leaves, if that doesn’t conceal lil’ Bubba too much. Or if it did, maybe that’s a good story.

Beautifully captured !
I just love the curious look and those spots on the face.
You already have a great suggestion from @Kris_Smith :+1:

Oh come on, I know you secretly want to take him home where you will love him, and squeeze him and stroke him and call him George! :laughing: :laughing:

No, @Kris_Smith. No way.

I just figured out what creeps me out about him. He evokes our rattlesnakes, several of which I have come waaaayyy too close to. The 400 acre property behind us has the largest privately-owned collection of rattlesnakes this side of west Texas. (And they are not part of the collections they actually own.)

Allen, this is a fine look at this young gator. The details in its head and especially its eye are striking. The young ones often seem less spooked by humans, especially when they’re surrounded by plants.