Young alligator with crayfish

Saw this young gator at a bird rookery in Louisiana a while back one April. I’m not thrilled with the grass he’s sitting in.

Canon 7D, 400mm f4 DO IS, monopod
ISO 400, f8, 1/250s

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is outstanding Allen. Images of baby gators are usually static, but this one jumps off the screen. The splashing of what I assume is duck weed on the gator only adds to the interest, especially up around the face. The only small thing I’d be tempted to play with is to increase the eye detail and brightness. Their eyes are so compelling, it would be neat to see a bit more detail. The change is subtle, but effective for me. I did a very quick and dirty adjustment to demo the effect so you can make your own judgment.

Wow Allen, that’s an outstanding find for you and a hell of a catch for this little guy. The comparative scale of these two together is way cool, and almost amusing. I’d love to have such an image in my collection. Lucky you!

@Hank_Pennington, thanks for the reminder on eye brightness Hank. While it seems pretty subtle here on this shot, I’ll be posting a hawk in avian soon where it made a big difference to my eyes anyway. Thanks again.

@Bill_Leggett, fortunate for me for sure Bill. Actually a young girl approached me while I was shooting at the rookery (Jefferson Island) and asked if I wanted to see a baby alligator. I am sure glad I stopped and went over to take a look!

The subject of this shot and spot on focus take all attention away from the surroundings. Personally, I think we all worry way too much about the other elements in our photos. He’s well separated from the background. It’s a WOW photo!

Man, oh man! I really like the pose, and all the textures, and colors. Love it.

Great natural history in this image, Allen, and the young alligator and crayfish are both extremely sharp with good eye contact from the former. I think you could tame the background if you wanted to take the time, and I think this image is worth taking that time.

Hi Allen !
This is a cracker! The compelling eye and duck weed on the face of alligator adds so much !
May prefer to burn the light grasses around. I was just wondering apart from the Catfish, is there arm of the Crab too?

Hi Jagdeep, thanks for the comment. I’m not sure I understand your question. The claw of the crayfish is what is so prevalently seen below the jaw of the gator.

Ok. I wasn’t familiar with crayfish. Thanks!