Great Egret feeding young

I just returned from a trip to the Louisiana swamps to visit the rookeries there. In this image, the adult has regurgitated and chewed up a crawfish as the young fight to see who will swallow the morsel.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C, monopod
ISO 640, f9, 1/1000s

1 Like

What a great shot, Allen! The sibling rivalry looks perilous to eyeballs! They seem evenly matched though, so barring disease, accident or a hungry raptor, they both might live to fledge. Super details and timing. The whites look ok, too, which is so hard with these. Looks like you had some soft, non-contrasty light which helps.

How do you like shooting with a monopod? I just started doing so and am still getting the hang of it. Only have a simple tilt-head on it, but I’ve never used one before so I can’t say if it will be my final choice. What kind of head are you using on yours if I may ask?

@Kris_Smith Hi Kristen, thanks for the comment!
I use a Mongoose action head for tripod and monopod - works well for me. I’m not sure if they are available anymore. I like the mobility of a monopod in certain situations (on the move in lower light or when waiting on a feeding bird to catch its prey) but prefer a tripod if I am at a fixed location. I used to use a tilt head for my monopod and had good results.

What a family portrait, Allen. Those siblings fighting is really a nice addition. Everyone seems nice and sharp.

I like the monopod too @Kris_Smith when I know I am going to be holding the long lens for a spell and moving around so don’t want the weight or having 3 legs to adjust quite often. I have both a gimbal head (full size one, I don’t remember the brand), as well as a Wimberly MH-100, which is nice and light and works very well, in my opinion. Both work well for me on a monopod.

Thanks for the input, @Shirley_Freeman - I have seen some rave reviews of that Wimberly head and may pick one up since the head I have isn’t an Arca-Swiss, but requires a proprietary mounting plate that is ok, but not ideal.

1 Like

Excellent image, Allen, though I’ve seen more appetizing meals :grin: The detail is superb throughout the image.

Wonderful action and sharpness!!! Gorgeous setting with a clear view of the warring chicks and a very interesting meal! Very nice whites! I wonder if it would be possible to remove the branch behind the meal? And the little one in the UR and the brighter one coming in at mid-frame.

I am SOOO jealous of the trees the water birds nest in down south. (And of the crawfish étouffée!)

Excellent environmental/action shot with good detail in the parent and chicks.

HI Allen
This is a nicely photographed interaction on how nature determined who gets fed first. The detail and whites are vary good and I like the overall framing.
Peter

Outstanding color, detail, pose, and behavioral aspects of this image. I might consider cloning out the one green branch sticking at the front of the beak. But this is an environmental shot.