Great Egret adult and chicks

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here’s two shots from my Louisiana trip back in April. We visited a Great Egret rookery that was close to several crawfish ponds. The adult came in with several crawfish and emptied them all into the nest. The young started feeding on the crawfish but soon had their fill. I noticed the adult then ate the remaining crawfish the chicks didn’t want. Interesting to see that. This is shown in the second image.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, tripod
ISO 400, f10, 1/1600s

1 Like

Both images are excellent, Allen. The scrawny look on of the chicks in the first is priceless.

This is the definition of “they’re so ugly, they’re cute”! I had to laugh when I enlarged the first photo. But, besides that, the photos are spot on. Excellent details, terrific environment, whites are nice, and a good story. Well done.

A nice sequence. Nice look at the chicks and good timing on the second shot. I also find the environment pleasing.

Hi Allen
You have to love family photographs, you did a very good job on the whites and the chicks are very cute.
Peter

Allen, you got a nice look at this family of Egrets. The chicks are so ugly they are cute! Both shots are really good. I have yet to see them nesting, so this was a great find.