Great Egret nest in a Louisiana rookery

An adult stretches over the chicks while waiting for the other parent to return with a meal.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 7D mark II, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/3200s

1 Like

This is a beautiful scene, so well-lit and telling a great story, Allen. The one change I would suggest is to clone out that wide pale brown stem between adult and chicks as it distracted me a bit.

I agree with Mike about the light and the story it tells. I miss the huge heron rookery I lived near in NH. Haven’t found one like that here. That spray of delicate feathers on the adult is so wonderful - delicate, but resilient, like the birds themselves. Agree, too, about the stick over there. The greening leaves make a great frame for the birds as well. Nicely done. Were you in a boat for this?

Thanks Kris! This rookery is viewable from land so we didn’t need a boat.

Such a nice family scene. I like the position of the Mom and the chicks. The nice green background is a very nice bonus.

I think the whites are a a touch dark and yellow. I did a quick adjustment using some subject masks to see what might be possible. Of course the RAW would be a much better starting point. Here is the result.

1 Like

Incredible opportunity here. Well composed family behavior. Nice image. Keith’s adjustment is beneficial.

A very good composition, Allen. Excellent detail in the whites. Depending on the time of day, the yellowish tinge could be accurate and whether or not you want to portray it that way is an artistic decision. If shooting in that kind of light, I often let it be what it is.

1 Like

Good point Dennis. We started shooting at sunrise and that early light is likely reflected in this image.