Juvenile Black-headed Grosbeak

The last couple of years I had this species visiting my baths fairly regularly. Thus far this year, they’ve been coming to the feeding station, but haven’t been in the baths and have been extremely skittish. I finally managed a few shots of this juvenile and an adult male by concentrating on the feeding area this morning.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you note. The background had a few areas that were distracting due to brightness and a color blob. I also raised the brightness and did some selective dodging on the bird.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything. The image was flipped horizontally.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 302 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/320, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PSCC. Cropped to a 7x6 format almost all from the left where the feeder was, full height. See above for adjustments. Neat Image for noise reduction. Taken at 7:43 this morning under cloudy skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Cool shot, Dennis. I’m getting them coming into my feeder area too. Have you seen the juveniles pitifully shaking like their dying in an effort to get mama to feed them? Half the time it works.

Sweet visitor. Seems like your work in the bird & bg was good enough, since I didn’t notice a thing before reading you text. Great work, Cheers, Hans

Nicely done Dennis. I like the thin perch snaking through the image and the background sets the bird off well. Fine details and colors.

Excellent detail, color, and perch. BG works well. Perhaps a little more contrast…